About the Post

Author Information

Wyoming born. Arizona raised. Sports Reporter. Trying to live a life of gratitude. Not a fan of pineapples.

The New Kid Dance

Sons,

The oldest two of you became “The New Kid” yesterday. Your mother and I made a decision that we thought would be best for you and moved you to the neighborhood public school. We agonized over this choice, and even when we trusted our instincts enough to pull the trigger on the move, there was still some trepidation that this would be the event that eventually cements a lifetime filled with juvy stints and therapist bills. I was the new kid several times in my school career. Fifth grade was the very first time I actually started a school year in the same place I had been the year before. Moving schools and making friends can be tough, and your mother and I weren’t sure how you’d handle it.

At the end of the day, we just want to do what’s best without being solely responsible for breaking or ruining you guys.

I had the pleasure of dropping you both off on your first day. Micah, being the oldest, you seemed fine. Some neighborhood girls ran up to you on the playground and gave you a hug, and whisked you off to play. I wasn’t so worried about you making friends, as I know you’ve always got an imagination filled with nonsense to keep you company.

Jett- you I wasn’t so sure about. You’re a kindergartener, so you have your own playground. There’s nobody on our block that’s your age, so you were completely on your own, and I could tell that you were worried. I was too. What happened next blew my mind. Like any modern parent, I recapped the events on social media in order to process what I saw.

Kids can be cruel, but they can also be friendly, gracious, caring, silly, amazing souls. I wanted to capture this moment in case you, or I, ever forget the value of showing a little warmth to a stranger. I’m so thankful that you were made to feel welcome, and while I know that not every day you spend at this new school will be perfect, that one perfect moment of seeing you do the ‘new kid dance’ is enough for me to know you’ll be alright.

Love,

Dad

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Comments on “The New Kid Dance”

1. lcoburn January 15, 2015 at 10:23 am #

PLEASE send this link to both of their teachers. Hopefully Jett’s teacher can share it with the parents of the kids in his class as a sort of, “Good job raising decent humans! Keep up the good work!” They should reinforce that amazing behavior of their kiddos at home! Love to all the Amsden Boys and the hot Momma, too!

2. gluestickmum January 15, 2015 at 10:35 am #

:’-)

3. Polysyllabic Profundities January 15, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

This post made me happy. 🙂

4. Jahaira January 15, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

Truly Love this!!!

5. curtishamm27 January 15, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

So amazing

6. mandabean1885 January 16, 2015 at 3:06 am #

Lol that’s so cute.

7. Incidental Scribe January 16, 2015 at 4:23 pm #

That is amazing. See your worries were in vain.

8. michelleat26 January 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm #

Glad there are still good kids out there who make others feel welcome.

9. ralphamsden January 17, 2015 at 11:12 am #

Reblogged this on I Think I'm Gonna Ralph and commented:

I wrote this for The Dad Letters. We switched our kids to a new school this week, and I was pretty nervous about how my kindergartener would handle it. It went better than expected, and provided me with an incredible example of kindness and warmth in the process.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Frames | The Dad Letters - January 29, 2015

[…] not the way you talk or act or dress, or if you’re a little strange, or what you achieve in the classroom or on the football field. Your frame doesn’t have to match my tastes. I have the full […]

Share your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s